HOW TO CLEAN AN OVEN
For this maintenance project, you will need:
- A spray bottle
- A scourer
- Paper towel
- Laundry powder
- Baking soda
- A large towel
- Dish soap
Cleaning an oven
- First, let’s look at a simple way to clean your oven racks.
- Place an old towel in a bathtub or large container, placing the rack on top.
- Then cover in hot water, mixing in powdered laundry detergent, ensuring it becomes diluted. Allow this to sit for 8 hours, or better still, overnight.
- While this sits, let’s look at a simple method for cleaning the inside of your oven.
- First, create a paste using half a cup of baking soda, a tablespoon of dish soap and water. Spread this throughout your oven, staying clear of the fan and heating elements. Allow this to sit for 30 minutes, before spraying with vinegar and scrubbing.
- Finally, wipe down all surfaces, clearing away residue.
- For ovens with heavy grease build up, purpose made products can be purchased, such as ‘Bam heavy duty oven cleaner’. This is applied by spraying, and waiting 5 minutes, before wiping clean.
- Now, back to the oven rack. Fill your sink with hot, soapy water before placing the rack inside. Use a scourer to clean off stuck on grease.
- Rinse off and allow to dry before placing back inside your oven.
Make sure the room is well ventalated and you wear thick, rubber gloves, long sleeve clothing, a mask and eye protection when using commercial cleaners.