Home in Place will be working to ensure regional NSW and South East Queensland get a fair share of the $10 billion Housing Australia Future Fund and the National Housing Accord, following applications for funding opening this week.
“A safe and secure roof over your head is a fundamental human right,” Ms Robertshaw said.
“Without it you can’t be productive, properly care for kids and others, or contribute to your community,” she said.
“The anxiety and stress caused by a lack of housing security has devastating consequences on almost every indicator of human wellbeing.”
“Rents and house prices continued to rise. Other rising cost of living pressures are making the crisis worse, especially for low paid workers and those on benefits.”
“With rental vacancy rates at very low rates, renters are being forced to look to a social and affordable housing system which is already bursting at the seams.”
“There are already 56,000 households on the NSW social housing waiting list, highlighting the critical lack of supply.”
Ms Robertshaw said Home in Place is eager to work with local developers who had shovel ready projects. People can get in touch via homeinplace.org/partnerships.
“We would love to hear from anyone interested in being part of the solution to the housing crisis.”
“When government funding, private developers, and not-for-profit housing providers come together, great things can happen.”
The Housing Australia Future Fund was established in November last year. The Federal Government says it will help deliver 30,000 new social and affordable rental homes in the fund’s first five years. Under the National Housing Accord, the Federal Government has committed to delivering an additional 10,000 new affordable homes over five years from 2024. Round one applications for both programs close on March 22.