the front of an SDA home in Queensland

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)

Your experts in SDA housing in NSW, Queensland and Victoria

Home In Place provides a range of SDA homes for people with a disability that have high support needs.

We manage hundreds of modern, specially designed and well equipped homes in NSW, Queensland and Victoria – including Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane, Melbourne and other regional areas. View our current vacancies.

Choose from existing individual and group homes or apartments. We also work with developers and investors to create purpose built disability housing for NDIS participants approved for SDA housing.

Our caring and supportive team works with Supported Independent Living providers and other partners to ensure tenants enjoy a home for life, focussed on independence and quality care .

For SDA housing owners, developers and investors we can help develop and provide ongoing, hassle free, tenancy and property management services.

Home In Place is a trusted, expert, not for profit provider of community and disability housing. We’re a member of the SDA Alliance and a registered Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) provider with the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) for NSW, Queensland, Victoria, ACT, Northern Territory, South Australia and Tasmania.

In the past two consecutive NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commission audits, Home in Place met all the requirements of the SDA Module and achieved a recommendation for the highest rating of 3 Best Practice in NDIS Tenancy Management.

Welcome home to living more independently in a highly supported way.

What Is SDA?

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is the housing or home – the bricks and mortar. It is separate to the Supported Independent Living (SIL) support a person with a disability gets through the NDIS for assistance from people to live in the home.

SDA is for a minority of people with a permanent disability who have very high support needs and specialist housing needs. It is designed to give people the opportunity to live more independently in a highly supported way.

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is the housing or home - the bricks and mortar.

In line with principles of choice and control, the NDIS provides SDA funding to the person with a disability under Capital Supports in their NDIS plan. The NDIS participant uses that and other funding to lease (rent) an SDA house or apartment or a room in a group home from an NDIS registered SDA provider. The housing must be a SDA compliant and registered with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA).

SDA is usually assessed for inclusion at existing plan reviews. You don’t need to have identified a particular SDA dwelling to test for SDA eligibility.

It can take a long time to get SDA funding into a person with a disability’s NDIS plan so start planning early. The application process is rigorous and extensive, so it is a good idea to get assistance from Support Co-ordinator and Allied Health worker with experience in getting SDA into an NDIS plan.

SDA Housing Design Categories

  • Disability housing with a focus on physical access for people with sensory, intellectual or cognitive impairments.

  • Housing with a high level of physical access features for people with a disability who have lots of physical challenges

  • Strong and durable disability housing is designed to be a safe place for residents with complex and challenging behaviours, and for other people.

  • Housing that includes a high level of physical access for people with a disability who need very high levels of support.

SDA Housing Vacancies

Home In Place has vacancies in a range of specialist disability accommodation dwellings in NSW, Queensland and Victoria. We are constantly adding SDA properties to our portfolio so check below to see if we have a property that suits your needs. Alternatively, talk to us about building your own SDA housing.

Browse vacancies

SDA Property Management Services

Are you struggling to efficiently manage all the tenancy and property management aspects of the SDA housing you own?

Home in Place’s expert and experienced Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) and disability housing teams take the hassle away from you so you can focus on other things.

You can trust us to provide affordable, high-quality services to you while ensuring the safety, security, privacy, well-being and satisfaction of residents. Our high priority maintenance program understands and is responsive to the needs of vulnerable residents.

Learn More

Resident Story

Frequently Asked Questions

  • To be eligible for SDA housing you must be an NDIS participant with a permanent disability who has very high support needs that require specialised disability housing.
    In deciding whether you are eligible, the NDIA uses these initial broad criteria, which it applies to all funding support applications. The SDA support must:

    • assist a participant to reach their goals and aspirations
    • facilitate the participant’s social and economic participation
    • represent value for money, relative to benefits achieved and costs of alternative supports
    • be good practice and is likely to be beneficial to the participant
    • consider what’s reasonable for parents, carers, informal networks and the community to provide
    • be most appropriately funded through the NDIS.

    The NDIA will ultimately determine if you are eligible based on your specific application.

  • SDA Services have collaborated with the team at Vera Living to create a fantastic online tool to help you access your SDA eligibility.

    This tool walks you through a series of questions to get an insight into your individual circumstances, including whether you would be likely to be eligible for SDA.

    The tool can be accessed via their website

  • To be eligible for Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding you must be an NDIS participant with a permanent disability and need high levels of support from people throughout the day, every day, with daily tasks such as personal care and meal preparation.

    You may be eligible for SIL funding but not SDA funding.

  • Home in Place partners with a range of Supported Independent Living (SIL) providers. These are separate and specialist organisations with staff trained to provide personal and other care to people with a disability with complex needs.

    In some of our SDA housing complexes and group homes there is an existing SIL provider. In many cases, the person with a disability can choose their own SIL.

  • You can view the specialist disability accommodation vacancies we have on offer *here*.

    We are constantly adding to our SDA housing options so please check back or talk to our expert team about your needs. There are developers and investors looking to build housing for eligible NDIS participants with SDA funding in their plan.

    The NDIS lists available rental properties here.

  • To get SDA funding you must be an NDIS participant and apply to the NDIA to have it included under Capital Supports in your NDIS plan.

    SDA is usually assessed for inclusion at existing plan reviews. You submit a change of circumstances application. The application process is extensive and you need to be thorough and address every assessment criteria.

    You don’t need to have identified a particular house, apartment or group home to test for SDA eligibility. You can get SDA in a plan to be able to use in the future. This is particularly important if the health of the person with the disability, or their parents or carers, starts to deteriorate.

    Here are five steps to getting SDA funding into your NDIS plan.

    1. Get funding and support to explore housing options – a Support Provider and Allied Health worker can be invaluable
    2. Develop a housing goal
    3. Develop a life vision
    4. Assess SDA eligibility
    5. Submit the SDA summary and evidence (SDA Housing Plan) to the NDIA.
  • The maximum rent contribution you can be charged is 25% of your disability support pension plus 100% of any Commonwealth Rental Assistance you receive. This will usually be significantly less than market rent. The balance of the rent is provided via the NDIS from your SDA housing funding in your plan.

  • No. Your rent doesn’t cover your in-home support (Supported Independent Living) costs for people to provide you with care and support. It also does not cover daily living costs, such as groceries and utility bills.

  • NDIS participants pay to live in specialist disability accommodation rentals. This includes paying rent and for Supported Independent Living (SIL) services and other living costs.

    Taxpayers subsidise the cost of SDA via NDIS payments to the person with a disability.

    Rent is paid out of SDA funding in a person’s NDIS plan. They may be required to make a “reasonable rent contribution” but this is capped at 25% of their disability support pension, plus any Commonwealth Rental Assistance they receive.

    SIL costs are paid out of separate funding pool in a person’s plan.

  • In line with the important NDIS principles of choice and control, SDA payments are paid to the person with a disability under Capital Supports in their NDIS plan.

  • Applying for SDA housing can take time because you need the NDIA to approve SDA in your NDIS plan. The application is extensive and you may have to wait until your annual plan review for the application to be considered.

    You don’t have to have a specific SDA dwelling in mind to see if you are eligible. You can get SDA in a plan to use in the future.

    Start thinking about SDA and getting assessed for eligibility if

    • you are moving, or want to move out of your parents’ home
    • your current housing is putting you or your carers at risk
    • you are living with aging parents
    • you are living in a group home and want to or need to leave
    • you are stuck in hospital with no access to appropriate housing
    • you are living in residential aged care.

    It can take up to 12 months to get SDA into an NDIS Plan so you should start early.

  • The Allied Health Report is a crucial part of an application for SDA housing. It should answer these questions.

    • How significant is the impact of a person’s disability on their mobility, self care and self management?
    • What supports (other than specialised housing) could help achieve the person’s housing goals?
    • What type of housing features, housing size and location, does the person reasonably require to achieve their goals?

    It must use recognised assessments and outcome scores that address:

    • environmental assessment including risks
    • current living situation, including risks
    • mobility/motor skills assessment
    • self-management and self-care
    • informal supports, including any risks
    • communication
    • social interaction
    • community access and engagement
    • equipment and assistive technology needs
    • a recommendation for SDA.


    1. It highlights the professional qualifications and expertise of the worker who prepared the report
    2. It outlines the standing and validity of each assessment tool
    3. It numbers the paragraphs and doesn’t have tables or text boxes to assist the support coordinator with cutting and pasting parts of the report
    4. It interprets findings with reference to the SDA eligibility criteria set out in Part 3 of the SDA Rules
    5. It justifies recommendations for supports with reference to Section 34 (reasonable and necessary), of the NDIS Act 2013.