From 29 April 2022, Compass Housing Services became Home In Place.

Your guide to transitional housing

Transitional housing is an important form of housing assistance within Australia’s housing system. Transitional housing is for people with an urgent need for housing, typically people who are experiencing homelessness or have a very high risk of homelessness.

Appropriate short to medium term housing, along with tailored support services, helps people to stabilise their lives before moving into longer term housing.

In this article we look at how transitional housing works, who is eligible and how it can help get people get back on their feet and transition into other long-term housing such as social housing or private housing.

What is transitional housing?

Transitional housing is a form of housing that provides short to medium term housing and support for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and have an urgent need for housing. It is more than crisis accommodation.

Transitional housing gets people housing so they can stabilise their lives and then work to move into more appropriate affordable and secure accommodation in the private rental market or in social housing or affordable housing.

Home in Place provides community housing, including transitional housing, in some areas of NSW and Queensland.

As part of a transitional housing tenancy agreement, tenants are engaged with specialist homelessness services or support providers who will help develop a case plan to assist them to move forward and access suitable long-term secure and affordable housing. That may include connecting tenants to other services to help them get back on their feet and into training or employment.

Types of transitional housing

There are several types of transitional housing available to people needing urgent or crisis housing.

In Queensland there are different types of transitional housing programs including the Community Rent Scheme, Community-Managed Studio Units, or the Same House Different Landlord program.

In NSW there are various transitional housing programs including Going Home Stay Home, Youth Accommodation, as well as Transitional Housing Plus.

Going Home Staying Home 

Going Home Staying Home (GHSH) provides early intervention and prevention services to men, women and children experiencing domestic violence and homelessness.

Transitional Housing Plus

Transitional Housing Plus specifically helps homeless young people, and women with children experiencing domestic and family violence, to stabilise their lives with longer term accommodation and integrated supports.

Accommodation is provided in six month leases which can be renewed with scaling rent increases for up to five years. The supports focus on delivering training and employment opportunities for participants. Housing providers must enter into a formal partnership with support providers to ensure that tenants have access to the right support. Tenants enter into a statement of agreement to commit to engaging in an education, training and employment pathway, as well as a case plan with a support provider.

Only specially funded housing properties can be used to provide this type of transitional housing. General transitional housing properties managed by Specialist Homelessness Services or mainstream community housing providers cannot be used for Transitional Housing Plus.

Transitional Housing in Queensland

The Community Rent Scheme provides tenancy management and support for people to build their capacity to progress to longer-term living arrangements in private or social housing.

Community-Managed Studio Units is a transitional and longer-term housing program that matches household needs. Properties may be furnished and have communal entertainment areas or courtyards.

The Same House Different Landlord program leases public housing properties to community housing providers for six months for people needing temporary support to keep their tenancy.

Who is eligible to live in transitional housing?

To be eligible for transitional housing you need to be registered for social housing and engaged with a specialist Homelessness Service. Generally, you will be experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness because of issues such as escaping family violence or you are a young person coming from out of home care or the juvenile justice system.

To access Transitional Housing Plus in NSW you need to be a woman with children escaping or at risk of domestic and family violence or a young homeless person. Homeless young people include those coming from Out-of-Home care arrangements or Juvenile Justice detention or supervision. A local nomination panel of relevant homelessness support services, government agencies and other community service organisations assess applications for the program.

There are limited places for all transitional housing programs.

How to apply for transitional housing in your area

Home in Place offers a number of Transitional Housing programs through support partners and agencies. Our support partners not only manage and submit the applications, they also nominate specific properties for the applicants.

In NSW, community housing providers such as Home in Place can help you to apply for social housing, including transitional housing. You can apply for social housing online, by phoning 1800 422 322 or through a Department of Community and Justice (DCJ) office. Most social housing applications are managed through a central Housing Pathways system.

In Queensland you apply for social housing by contacting a  Housing Service Centre. You will have an interview to discuss your eligibility and housing needs. Successful applicants are placed on that State’s Housing Register. Once on the register you can be assessed for any available transitional housing.

What to know throughout your transitional housing tenancy

Aa a transitional housing tenant, your will sign a tenancy agreement with your housing provider. You will also develop a case plan to work towards with your support worker. The plan is designed to help you discover your barriers to accessing and sustaining longer term housing, support services that may be able to help you, issues you may need to work through and what is the best type of longer-term housing for you.

Transitional housing tenants generally pay approximately 25% of their assessable household income in rent, plus 100% any Commonwealth Rent Assistance they receive. The maximum rent is market rent which means the rent you would pay in the private rental market for a similar property in the area.

Tenancies provided through the NSW Transitional Housing program are capped at a maximum of 2 years. Eligible tenants sign new leases every 3 months.

Find transitional housing in NSW and QLD with Home In Place

Home in Place offers a number of Transitional Housing programs through support partners and agencies. Our support partners not only manage and submit the applications, they also nominate specific properties for the applicants.

Home in Place is a leading and one of the largest community housing providers in Australia. We provide affordable housing and community housing, including transitional housing, in Queensland and NSW.

To find out more information about transitional housing and how Home in Place provides this community housing service visit our web page. Or get in touch by calling 1300 333 733 or visiting our contact page.

You may also be interested in…